Watched the Super Bowl game over the weekend? Feeling inspired to work out and get your body moving? Just like American Football, Tough Mudder can be an explosive sport.
Explosiveness is the ability to produce maximum force in minimal time. It is critical for quick movements such as sprinting, jumping, running, jogging, hopping, leaping, diving, the list goes on.
Although Tough Mudder is filled with fun obstacles and lots of mud, there is also an element of running, jogging or walking as you move between obstacles. Planning on walking the whole thing? You’re going to want to warm up after a dip in Arctic Enema – The Rebirth and a jog is the best way to get the blood moving again.
So it’s time to get your head in the game and follow this workout plan to help you get on track.
Upper Body Strength Workout
- Bench Press (4 sets of 10, last set to failure)
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets of 8)
- Military Press (3 sets of 8-10)
- Shrugs (3 sets of 20)
- Cable Crossover (3 sets of 6-8)
- Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of 8)
- Alternating Dumbell Curls (3 sets of 8-10)
- Tricep Dip (3 sets of 10)
- Skullcrushers (3 sets of 6-8)
Lower Body Strength Workout
Do all lower body workouts for 3 sets with 10-12 reps.
- Deadlifts (Every other week switch from straight leg and regular / conventional type)
- Lying Leg Curls
- Calf Raises
Speed & Agility Functional Workout
Do 3 sets of each to concentrate on high intensity sprints.
- 10m Sprints
- 25m Sprints
Follow up your sprint workout with one longer distance sprint.
- 400m Sprint x 1
Agility Ladder – push up – sprint: Run the agility ladder (outside to inside each box, end with 5 push ups, then pop up to sprint 10m) Do this 5 times.
Functional workout to improve vertical jump
- Jump and reach – While standing, squat down and jump to reach something above you.
Steady State Cardio
This is the second lightest workout of your week so keep your heart rate up and do some steady state cardio. You will focus on your conditioning by doing steady state cardio for 30-60 minutes.
Full Body Explosive Strength
- Power Cleans
- Box Jumps
- Medicine Ball Throw Situps (against a wall / net or with a friend x20 )
- Push-up to Box Jump (x10)
- Incline weighted situps (x15)
What are you waiting for?
Get up, get moving and book a Tough Mudder run now.