At this time of year there really isn’t a more delicious, festive treat than a mince pie. Make these protein-packed vanilla mince pies from our friends at PhD Nutrition as a gift for your gym-loving family and friends or maybe…just for you. Whatever you do and whoever you choose to give them to, just don’t forget to save one for the man in a red and white suit.
Vanilla Mince Pies
Ingredients Required (makes 12) :
75g unsalted butter
150g plain flour
50g Diet Whey vanilla creme
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp milk
1. Cube the butter and add to a large bowl, along with the flour, protein powder, cinnamon and salt. Rub the mixture between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs, then add the egg and water then bring the mixture together with your hands to form a dough ball. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180°c and take out a 12 hole cupcake tray.
3. Cut 1/3 of the dough off and place to one side. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining two thirds as thinly as you can. Using an 9cm fluted cutter, cut 12 holes and carefully place them into the tin, pressing onto the base and sides. Spoon a little mincemeat into each pastry case.
4. Roll out the remaining third of the dough, again as thinly as you can, use a round cutter, a bit smaller than the cupcake hole so the lid will sit inside the case, and cut 6 circles out. Using a small star cutter, cut out a star from each of these lids. Alternate between a cut out lid and a star on top.
5. Brush each mince pie with a little milk before placing in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. Allow the pies to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before carefully removing.
Macros (Per Serving)
Tough Mudder courses are best completed fuelled by sweet treats so book your next adventure in the mud.